Melnik and Struma Valley 3-Day Wine Tour
Welcome by Tour Leader in Sofia. Departure from Sofia at 10:00. Visit to the famous Rila Monastery – the largest monastery in Bulgaria designated a UNESCO world heritage site since 1983. Lunch at local restaurant. Continue to the Melnik area. Check-in to traditional guesthouse. Short walk around town including a visit to the 18th century Kordupolov House that gives you a fascinating insight into life in Melnik in the 1700s. Enjoy a glass of typical Melnik wine in the old cellar. Welcome dinner incl. wine.
Accommodation: Traditional Guesthouse in Melnik/Sandanski
Meals: Lunch, Dinner
A day dedicated to wine, gastronomy, nature and good conversations. Today, we visit two boutique wineries located in a picturesque landscape of green fields, vineyards, small villages and farm animals. The day starts with a visit to the delightful Villa Melnik – a boutique winery that has quickly gained recognition for its excellent wines. Here we will tour the winery, taste wines and sample traditional appetizers. We continue to Orbelus winery located on top of a hill in the surroundings of the quaint village of Kapatovo. Orbelus is a modern winery with an unusual architecture. The facility is shaped as a giant wine barrel with half of the barrel located underground and half over the ground. It is quite a spectacular winery proudly working with only organic grapes. A passionate winemaker will greet you with a show-around of the winery followed by a wine tasting session. A lunch will follow at the Zlaten Rozhen Hotel & Restaurant including a glass of wine from the Zlaten Rozhen Wine Cellar. To work off all the wine and food, hike up a small hill to visit the Rozhen Monastery. Return to your guesthouse in Melnik – the smallest town in Bulgaria. Time on your own to explore the countless historical buildings. Discover Melnik at your own pace. There are many typical Bulgarian restaurants, wine shops, galleries, wine museums and the list goes on. Enjoy dinner at one of the many typical Bulgarian restaurants.
Accommodation: Traditional Guesthouse in Melnik/Sandanski
Meals included: Breakfast, Lunch
Breakfast. Transfer to Sofia from your guesthouse at 12:00. Arrival in Sofia at 15:00.
Meals included: Breakfast
Included in the price of Melnik and Struma Valley 3-Day Wine Tour:
✓ Transportation from and to Sofia. Pick-up/drop-off point to be advised.
✓ All ground transportation with a minivan/car included in the tour’s itinerary
✓ 2 nights at traditional guesthouse in shared ensuite doublerooms
✓ Visit to Rila Monastery & Rozhen Monastery
✓ Entrance to Kordopulov House in Melnik
✓ Tours and tastings at Orbelus & Villa Melnik
✓ Meals as per itinerary
✓ Tour leader from Bulgaria Wine Tours
✓ Guided tours of wineries by onsite winemaker/owner/wine tourism guide
✓ Tour operator insurance from Groupama Insurance in case of non-provision of services
Not included in the tour price:
- Flight tickets
- Private transfers
- Meals and beverages not mentioned in the tour description
- Travel and medical insurance (please, consult your insurance provider)
- Visa fees, if applicable
- Extras and incidentals
Price of the tour:
- 2 – 3 persons – € 450 per person (*)(**)
- 4 – 5 persons – € 410 per person (*)(**)
- 6 + persons – € 330 per person (*)(**)
* The BGN/EUR exchange rate is fixed at 1 EUR = 1.95583 BGN (http://www.bnb.bg/?toLang=_EN)
** Price per person is based on double occupancy e.g. two persons sharing a room
- A non-refundable deposit of 30% of the total tour cost is required to be paid within 7 days of the invoice issue date unless otherwise agreed with the Company.
- The balance of the amount due to the Company must be paid no later than 45 days before departure unless otherwise agreed with the Company.
- In the event that the Client makes a booking within 45 days of departure of the tour, the full tour price must be paid up-front.
Payments are made in Euros or Bulgarian Leva.
Bulgaria Wine Tours Ltd.
Bank name: Raiffeisen Bank
Bank address: 1 Knyaginya Mariya Luiza Str., Plovdiv 4000
We will provide confirmation once the payment is received
We accept credit/debit card payment. Information will be provided along with your booking.
During The Melnik and Struma Valley 3-day wine tour we will visit the following wineries:
Zlaten Rozhen Wine Cellar
Zlaten Rozhen is a charming family wine cellar, hotel and restaurant in the village of Rozhen in the Melnik wine region. Zlaten Rozhen’s young and ambitious team strive to produce wine reminiscent of the times when wine from this region was served at the tables of respected Western European families. The family hotel, restaurant and wine cellar is in walking distance from one of the most beautiful Bulgarian monasteries – Rozhen monastery. The tasting room at the boutique hotel is the ideal setting to enjoy Zlaten Rozhen’s wine, while experiencing the rural atmosphere of the Melnik region.
Surrounded by seven mountains in the Melnik region in southwestern Bulgaria lies the organic winery Orbelus. Not only is the wine-making process organic but also the architecture of the winery reduces the input of resources such as lighting, heating and cooling. This provides for a wine experience in full unison with nature. These environmental considerations do not come at the expense of the wine quality; Orbelus has already gained international recognition, including a gold medal from the prestigious Millésime Bio Challenge. Staying true to its Melnik origins, Orbelus emphasizes the local varieties and presents them in a different way to its visitors – the organic way.
The Melnik region has been and still is one of the most famous wine regions in Bulgaria. Each year Winston Churchill himself used to purchase 500 litres of the traditional Melnik variety – Shiroka Melnishka loza. With such a history, it is not surprising that one of the newest wineries in the region – Villa Melnik – has quickly gained recognition for its high-quality wine, beautiful winery and warm hospitality. Villa Melnik has even dared to produce wine with its own grown Mavrud variety – traditionally the undisputed master of another wine region in Bulgaria – the Thracian valley. Such boldness and distinct character are typical for Villa Melnik, which makes a visit to the winery an absolute must for every wine lover in the area.
- Transport time between Sofia and Sandanski is about 2.5 hours.
- In general, EU citizens do not require visas to travel to Bulgaria. Citizens of some other countries also do not need visas to travel to Bulgaria. For visa requirements to enter Bulgaria, please consult the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs at: http://www.mfa.bg/en/pages/109/index.html or the respective institutions in your country of residence.
- The tour does not require any special medical condition or fitness level. The tour does not involve intensive walking, hiking, or other physical effort apart from the normal efforts for sightseeing.
- You are encouraged to purchase travel and medical insurance at your own judgement.
- For any questions, please contact us at: +359 888 487 113 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us through the Facebook page – Bulgaria Wine Tours.
Additional services or surcharges
Most importantly, we will do anything we can to make the tour a pleasant and memorable experience for you.
Enjoy Exploring! Enjoy Bulgaria!