What to expect
You are in for a memorable experience with this special tasting of six (6) unique wines from Bulgaria. Many don’t know that Bulgaria does in fact produce different styles of wine including sparkling wines and sweet wines – but there are not too many Bulgarian sparkling or sweet wines readily available on the market. During your tasting, you will have the opportunity to taste very different wines from all over Bulgaria in 6 different wine styles: sparkling, rosé, white, orange, red and sweet. Your tasting guide will present each wine. Enjoy a selection of six (6) Bulgarian wines over the course of two (~2) hours accompanied by a platter of local appetizers, mineral water and fun conversation with your tasting guide. Your tasting will be led by the wine bar owner/sommelier. The tasting is accompanied by a delicious platter of local delicaies such as white buffalo cheese, Bulgarian yellow cheese (kashkaval), air-dried pork sausage spiced with paprika, air-dried sausage sticks and traditional sour-dough bread from a local baker. The tasting takes place at a local wine bar in central Varna.
Current wine tasting menu (2019):
- Sparkling – Broad Melnik Vine Blanc de Noir, “Satin”, Logodaj, Struma Valley 2015
- White – Vrachanski Misket, “White Story”, Staro Oryahovo, North Black Sea 2018
- Rosé – Gamza, Borovitza, North – West 2018
- Orange – Dimyat, Bulgarian Heritage, Karabunar Winery, West – Thracian Valley 2017
- Red – Mavrud, “Merul”, Rumelia, West – Thracian Valley 2015
- Sweet – Tamianka, “Late Harvest”, Bratanov, Sakar 2017
- Tasting of 6 local wines at centrally-located wine bar
- Tasting is led by owner/employee at tasting room/wine shop
- Platter of local delicacies & mineral water
- VAT & Local Taxes
- Mandatory Insolvency Insurance from Armeec Insurance
- Meals & beverages not mentioned in the tour description
- Alcoholic beverages not mentioned in the tour description
- Travel and medical insurance
- Wine purchases & Extras
Where to meet
- At centrally-located wine bar. Location & other info will be shared with you after booking.
- Bring your camera along to capture special moments
- Bring some local currency (BGN) for purchases just in case the venue does not accept card payment
- We reserve the right to change the above wine tasting menu e.g. substitute wines
- The minimum number of people per tasting is 4. The maximum number of people per tasting is 24.
- Food allergies or dietary requirements can be accommodated if advised before the tasting. Please advise at time of booking.
Bulgaria grows both international and native grapes. Interestingly, there are more international grapes planted in Bulgaria than local grapes for historical reasons. The ratio of international to local is roughly 70% to 30% with the plantations of local grapes increasing in recent years.
The most popular and widely planted international grapes are Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Viognier, Riesling, Gewürztraminer and Muscat Ottonel.
The most significant local grapes are Dimyat, Red Misket, Broad-Leaved Melnik Vine, Early Melnik Grape (Melnik 55), Mavrud, Rubin, Ruen, Bouquet, Pamid, Tamianka and Gamza,
- Up to 30 days before the tasting = 70% refund
- Up to 14 days before the tasting = 50% refund
- Less than 14 days before the tasting = no refund
- Changing the tasting date is possible (according to availability)
- No shows are fully chargeable with no refund
- In the unlikely event that Bulgaria Wine Tours is forced to cancel a tasting, you will receive a full refund.
- Please see our general booking terms and conditions for more information