What to expect
Enjoy a tasting of five (5) local red wines in a wine tasting room in Varna with a warm and cozy atmosphere. Five (5) native red grapes will be represented in this tasting. All the wines are produced by small producers and have personal stories behind them. Your tasting guide will present each wine and be there to answer your questions. Enjoy a selection of five (5) Bulgarian wines over the course of two (~2) hours accompanied by a platter of local appetizers, mineral water and fun conversation with your tasting guide. Your tasting will be led by the wine bar owner/sommelier. The tasting is accompanied by a delicious platter of local delicacies such as white buffalo cheese, Bulgarian yellow cheese (kashkaval), air-dried pork sausage spiced with paprika, air-dried sausage sticks and traditional sour-dough bread from a local baker. The tasting takes place at a local wine bar in central Varna.
Current wine tasting menu (2019):
- Gamza, Gomotartzi, Bononia Estate, North – West 2018
- Broad Melnik Leaf Vine, Aplauze, Villa Melnik, Struma Valley 2016
- Melnik 55, “Gramatik”, Rupel Winery, Struma Valley 2015
- Mavrud, “Merul”, Rumelia Winery, West Thracian Valley 2015
- Rubin, Milkov & Georgiev, West Thracian Valley 2017
- Tasting of 5 local red wines at centrally-located wine bar
- Tasting is led by owner/employee at tasting room/wine shop
- Platter of local delicacies & mineral water
- VAT & Local Taxes
- Mandatory Insolvency Insurance from Armeec Insurance
- Meals & beverages not mentioned in the tour description
- Alcoholic beverages not mentioned in the tour description
- Travel and medical insurance
- Wine purchases & Extras
Where to meet
- At centrally-located wine bar. Location & other info will be shared with you after booking.
- Bring your camera along to capture special moments
- Bring some local currency (BGN) for purchases just in case the venue does not accept card payment
- We reserve the right to change the above wine tasting menu e.g. substitute wines
- The minimum number of people per tasting is 4. The maximum number of people per tasting is 24.
- Food allergies or dietary requirements can be accommodated if advised before the tasting. Please advise at time of booking.
Bulgaria grows both international and native grapes. Interestingly, there are more international grapes planted in Bulgaria than local grapes for historical reasons. The ratio of international to local is roughly 70% to 30% with the plantations of local grapes increasing in recent years.
The most popular and widely planted international grapes are Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Viognier, Riesling, Gewürztraminer and Muscat Ottonel.
The most significant local grapes are Dimyat, Red Misket, Broad-Leaved Melnik Vine, Early Melnik Grape (Melnik 55), Mavrud, Rubin, Ruen, Bouquet, Pamid, Tamianka and Gamza,
- Up to 30 days before the tasting = 70% refund
- Up to 14 days before the tasting = 50% refund
- Less than 14 days before the tasting = no refund
- Changing the tasting date is possible (according to availability)
- No shows are fully chargeable with no refund
- In the unlikely event that Bulgaria Wine Tours is forced to cancel a tasting, you will receive a full refund.
- Please see our general booking terms and conditions for more information