What to expect
Bulgaria is an emerging wine region and you won’t find many Bulgarian wines outside of its borders despite being an old world wine country and one of the oldest wine countries in the world. Enjoy getting to know Bulgarian wines during this 2-hour tasting experience in a central wine bar/tasting room in Plovdiv. You will be introduced to local varieties such as Mavrud and Rubin. The wines presented are from local boutique producers making it even more unlikely to find these wines outside of Bulgaria. A flight of four (4) wines will be served at the tasting. Make new memories during this informal and pleasurable wine tasting.
- Tasting of 4 boutique wines at centrally-located wine tasting room/shop
- Tasting is led by knowledgeable owner/employee of tasting room/wine shop
- Appetizers and Mineral Water
- VAT & Local Taxes
- Mandatory Insolvency Insurance from LEV-INS Insurance
- Meals & Beverages not mentioned in the tour description
- Alcoholic beverages not mentioned in the tour description
- Travel and medical insurance
- Wine purchases & Extras
Where to meet
- At centrally-located wine tasting room/shop. Location will be shared with you after booking.
- Bring your camera along to capture special moments
- Bring some local currency (BGN) for purchases just in case the venue does not accept card payment
- The minimum number of people per tasting is 2. The maximum number of people per tasting is 8.
- Food allergies or dietary requirements can be accommodated if advised before the tasting. Please advise at time of booking.
Bulgaria grows both international and native grapes. Interestingly, there are more international grapes planted in Bulgaria than local grapes for historical reasons. The ratio of international to local is roughly 70% to 30% with the plantations of local grapes increasing in recent years.
The most popular and widely planted international grapes are Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Viognier, Riesling, Gewürztraminer and Muscat Ottonel.
The most significant local grapes are Dimyat, Red Misket, Broad-Leaved Melnik Vine, Early Melnik Grape (Melnik 55), Mavrud, Rubin, Ruen, Bouquet, Pamid, Tamianka and Gamza,
- Up to 30 days before the tasting = 70% refund
- Up to 14 days before the tasting = 50% refund
- Less than 14 days before the tasting = no refund
- Changing the tasting date is possible (according to availability)
- No shows are fully chargeable with no refund
- In the unlikely event that Bulgaria Wine Tours is forced to cancel a tasting, you will receive a full refund.
- Please see our general booking terms and conditions for more information